What is the purpose of an Echocardiogram?
An echocardiogram is used to view your heart and see how it works by utilizing an ultrasound machine.
What can you expect during an Echocardiogram?
You will be asked to remove your clothes from the waist up, wear a hospital gown and lie on your left side. A small camera held by the technician will be placed and moved around your chest in the area of your heart. Gel, like KY jelly, will be used and washes off easily. This picks up sound waves from the heart that will make a picture on a monitor. These pictures are then captured digitally. Small sticky patches with wires will be placed on areas of your body. You may be asked not to talk during the test. The test takes about one hour.
- No special preparation is necessary. You may eat and go about your normal activities
- Continue to take your medications
- The test is completed at either the ODC at Sapling Grove or the ODC at MeadowView Lane.
- The technician will be with you at all times
- Please check-in 15 minutes before your appointment.