What is nephrology?
Nephrology is the study of normal kidney function, treatments of kidney disease, dialysis and kidney transplant. Chronic kidney disease refers to all stages from mild damage to kidney failure.
If you have chronic kidney disease, your treatment plan should be as individual as you are. Our medical team helps you understand the best options to treat your health issues and fit your lifestyle. Our goal is to help you live the best life possible.
Symptoms requiring a nephrologist
- Acute renal failure
- Stage 3 or worse chronic kidney disease
- Accelerated decline in kidney function
- Chronic urinary tract infections
- High blood pressure that does not respond to medication
- Repeat kidney stones
- Excessive blood/protein in urine
- Abnormal kidney X-ray or ultrasound results
Why You Need to Know Your Blood Pressure Numbers
Did you know that your blood pressure can affect your kidney health? Learn how this silent killer can cause significant damage to your healthMore
Kidney-friendly nutrition for chronic kidney disease
Keep your kidneys in tip top shape with these kidney-friendly resourcesMore
How to Lower Your Kidney Disease Risk
Knowing what causes kidney disease is the key to preventionMore
Expectations of your nephrologist
A nephrologist is an internal medicine doctor with advance training to treat kidney disease. In addition to treating kidney health, nephrologists strives to optimize your quality of life. Here’s what to expect during your appointment(s):
- Medical history discussion
- Complete physical
- Kidney function analysis via blood and urine tests
- Kidney biopsy if required for diagnosis
- Patient education, including treatments, lifestyle changes and future expectations
Kidney disease affects your overall physical and emotional health. Your nephrologist may recommend that you work with a renal dietitian, social worker and nurse to help manage your care. Depending on your kidney health, you may also be referred to a urologist, dialysis or transplant center.
Our nephrologists plus our network of specialists work to optimize your emotional and physical care during this challenging time in your life. Experience the difference that quality care brings to your life.
Kidney health services at HMG
- Patient Education
- Kidney biopsy
- Anemia management
- Kidney transplant
- Chronic kidney disease management