Because every patient is unique, instructions vary from one patient to another. So, it is important to follow your doctor’s directions closely for the best experience. Failing to follow instructions or complete the preparation may cause a delay. Your doctor may even cancel the procedure.
The checklist below covers typical guidelines to help you prepare for endoscopy and colonoscopy procedures.
Before Your Surgery
- HMG’s Endoscopy Center nurse will call you prior to your surgery to discuss medications you need to stop or continue prior to surgery. Please ask about any herbs or over-the-counter medications at that time.
- The time to stop foods and drinks may vary, depending on the endoscopy procedure you have. In addition, prep for a colonscopy differs from an upper endoscopy. When HMG’s nurse calls you, he or she will review the specific instructions for preparing for your procedure. At this time, all food and drink restrictions will be reviewed.
- Wear comfortable clothes that are easy to remove and put back on. Remember, your drowsiness can make dressing more challenging.
- Don’t wear jewelry.
- If you wear contact lens or glasses, bring your case to store them during surgery.
Morning of Surgery
- Bring a family member or friend to drive you. Your driver must remain during the procedure. He or she is responsible for driving you home. The procedure will not be done if you do not have a driver.
- Bring your driver’s license, insurance cards and payment. Plan to leave these with your driver during the procedure.
- Leave all valuables at home that you don’t need for check-in.
- Bring your medications or a list of medications (including the dosage) with you.