Be good to your feet for your best mobility for years to come. Most of us walk about 10,000 steps every day. In addition, climbing stairs tacks on extra pressure. Regular foot care is the starting point for good foot health.
Follow these guidelines to keep your feet in their best condition to maintain an active lifestyle.
Daily Foot Care
- Wash your feet every day with warm water and soap. Thoroughly dry your feet after your shower.
- Moisturize your feet with a good lotion.
- Inspect your feet for wounds, skin problems or infections.
- Treat sweaty feet with a medicated powder or spray that contains aluminum chloride hexahydrate.
- Always wear shoes (inside and outside) to help prevent foot injuries.
- Apply sunscreen to the top of your feet if they are exposed to sun.
Weekly Foot Care
- Trim nails as needed. Remember to trim straight across. Leave them long enough so the nail doesn’t dig into the skin to help prevent ingrown toenails.
- Moisturize toenails with a cuticle oil or Vitamin E to help prevent age-related dry nails. Choose polish without formaldehyde, toluene or dibutyl phthalate.
- Smooth corns and calluses with a pumice stone. Avoid over-the-counter removers that contain acids.
Monthly Foot Care
- Inspect your shoes monthly to see if they are still in good shape or need replacement.
- Assess any inserts to determine if they still are doing their intended job.
If you have consistent pain or notice a change in your feet, schedule an evaluation with an HMG podiatrist.